Mathematics is a subject of great intrinsic power and beauty. It is the universal language of science, and is essential for a clear and complete understanding of virtually all phenomena. Mathematical training prepares a student to express and analyze problems and relationships in a logical manner in a wide variety of disciplines, including the physical, engineering, social, biological, and medical sciences, business, and pure mathematics itself. This is a principal reason for the perpetual need and demand for mathematicians in education, research centers, government, and industry.
The mathematics Department at Lehigh offers undergraduate degrees in mathematics and in statistics. We offer undergraduate minors in pure mathematics; applied mathematics; probability and statistics and in actuarial science. graduate programs include a PhD in mathematics, MS degrees in applied mathematics; mathematics; and in statistics. We also participate in the MS degree in financial engineering.
Registration information for Spring 2022 classes:
- Spring 2022 Course Schedule
- Information about registration overrides and waitlists
- Two year course plan
- Course flow for math majors
Tutoring and Study Help Center
- Mathematics Major (BA and BS)
- Statistics Major (BS with BA coming soon)
- Minors in Pure mathematics; Applied Mathematics; Probability and Statistics; Actuarial Science
- Masters degrees in Applied Mathematics; Mathematics; Statistics (MS)
- We participate in the interdisciplinary MS degree in Financial Engineering
- Doctoral degree in mathematics (concentration in statistcs available) (PhD)
A Everett Pitcher Lecture Series
A lecture series in honor of A Everett Pitcher is held annually. Pitcher was secretary of the AMS from 1967 until 1988, and served in the mathematics department here at Lehigh from 1938 until 1978, when he retired as distinguished Professor of Mathmatics. He died on December 4, 2006 at the age of 94. The next lectures may be in spring 2022 depending on the pandemic.