Information on the undergraduate programs in mathematics and statistics
Links for information on calculus placement and entry level courses; graduate programs; department home page.
Interested in a math major?
- Talk to any professor you are taking a mathematics or statistics course with. They will be happy to give you information.
- More questions? Contact Professor Mark Skandera (mas906@lehigh).
- To declare your major contact Mary Ann Dent (mad8@lehigh) in the Mathematics Department office.
University Catalog description of the undergraduate majors and minors in the mathematics department.
Undergraduate majors, Short descriptions :
- Bachelor of Arts degree with a Major in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Arts Degree with a major in Statistics (new see catalog)
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in Statistics
- Bachelor of Science in Statistics - Applied track
Short descriptions for undergraduate minors. You can also see the information in the course catalog.
Minors are offered in the following. The links will take you to a docusign form to declare the minor.
- Pure mathematics Faculty advisor: Professor Terrance Napier
- Applied mathematics Faculty advisor: Professor Linghai Zhang
- Probability and Statistics Faculty advisor: Professor Ping-Shi Wu
- Actuarial Science Faculty advisor: Professor Garth Isaak
In recent years, we have had approximately 15-20 majors graduating each year. This means that classes are small, so that you get to know your professors and fellow students well. Some of the things that our recent graduates have done after graduation include
- Work for various industries requiring quantitative skills
- Graduate school in mathematics
- Graduate school in other disciplines
- Work in computer as programmer
- High school teaching
- Work as actuary or for a financial company
- Industry statistician